Monday, July 14, 2008

Strolling



This is a painting of an American Avocet. This bird has an elegant profile and striking coloration. In summer it can be found in temporary and unpredictable wetlands across western North America where it swings its long upturned bill through the shallow water to catch small invertebrates.


I used a new to me technique to paint him. He is painted on an 8 x 10 canvas. I used modeling paste to achieve the birds textures. I applied the modeling paste with a knife. The paste was allowed to dry overnight. I painted him the next day using a limited pallette,consisting of ultramarine blue, white, yellow ochre and alizarin crimson.

I was pleased with the way the painting turned out. I just hope that my photography skills were able capture some of the interest and texture in this piece.